A delicious and most rustic galette stuffed with fresh local peaches, sugar, and spice. The crust becomes crispy from the outside and soft, flaky, and buttery from the inside. Feel free to use your fruit of choice, such as apples, plums, pears, blueberries, apricots, or nectarines. On this occassion, fresh peach slices seemed ideal and resulted in a most comforting treat. Perfect for those days that require a warm blanket, a slice of pie, a hot cup of tea, and good company.
INGREDIENTS/ SERVES 6
For the Dough:
1 cup/ 145 gr. all-purpose flour
1 stick/ 110 gr. cold unsalted butter
1/8 teaspoon salt
1 large egg
For the Filling:
1/4 cup/ 60 gr. brown sugar (light or dark)
1/3 cup/ 40 gr. almond flakes
3 tablespoons cornstarch
3 peaches/ 520 gr. halved, and sliced into 1/2 in. wedges
1 teaspoon cinnamon
zest of 1/2 a lemon
1 teaspoon vanilla or seeds of 1/3 a vanilla pod
1/4 cup/ 75 gr. granulated sugar
1 egg plus 1 tablespoon milk or water, for egg wash, optional
1 teaspoon poppy seeds, optional
1. Blitz together the flour, butter, and salt for 6 seconds in a food processor. The butter should be visible in small chunks. Add the egg, and blitz for a couple of seconds just until the dough comes together.
2. Gather the dough, shape into a ball and roll out into a a circle that is uniform in thickness. Aim to make the dough about 14 in. round and 1/13-1/16 in. thick, but don’t strive for perfection as any imperfections will add to the rustic feel of the galette. Press down any openings and be careful to roll out the dough as quickly as possible after removing it from the food processor as the butter will soften making it difficult to move it. Using your rolling pin, transfer the dough onto a baking sheet lined with parchment paper and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
3. In the meantime, preheat the oven to 200 C (400 F). In a bowl, combine the brown sugar, half of the almond flakes, cornstarch, and salt. Mix until combined. Set aside. In another bowl combine the peach wedges, cinnamon, lemon zest, and vanilla. Toss to combine.
4. Spread the cornstarch mixture onto the center of the dough, leaving a 2 in. border. Arrange the peach wedges over the mixture and scatter all but 1 teaspoon of the white sugar over them. Carefully fold the dough over the fruit and brush the outside with egg wash if desired. Sprinkle the remaining almond flakes, 1 teaspoon sugar, and poppy seeds (optional) over the pastry and bake for 45-50 minutes or until the its golden and the filling is bubbling.
5. Cool for at least 15 minutes before serving or save for later. Perfect with a scoop of vanilla ice cream. Enjoy! X