It’s still winter and what better way to cozy up than with healthy and delicious comfort food. This vegan roasted sweet potato and lentil soup with Eastern spices and a tangy tahini sauce hits all the right spots. It’s also the perfect way to make use of sweet potatoes while they’re still in season. Simple, fulfilling, and feel good food at its best. Here is my twist to the traditional shorabit ‘adas or lentil soup and all in about half an hour. Enjoy!
INGREDIENTS/ SERVES 4-6
1 cup (160 gr.) red lentils, rinsed
6 (about 750 gr.) sweet potatoes, skins removed and cubed
4 tablespoons olive oil, divided
3 garlic cloves, chopped
1 yellow onion, finely chopped
pinch of dried red chili flakes, optional
3 bay leaves
1/2 teaspoon cumin
1/2 teaspoon turmeric
1/4 teaspoon smoky paprika
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 teaspoon salt
5 tablespoons tahini
4 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
1. Preheat oven to 220 C (425 F). Place sweet potatoes on a baking sheet and drizzle 1 tablespoon of olive oil over them. Rub the potatoes with the oil so that they are all lightly greased. Roast them for about 25-30 minutes or until lightly golden and tender.
2. In the meantime, sauté the onion over medium heat in a medium pot with 3 tablespoons of olive oil for about 7 minutes until golden and translucent. Stir in the garlic and chili flakes. Add 7 cups (1645 ml) of boiling water to the pot and stir in bay leaves, spices, salt, and lentils. Leave to simmer for for about 20 minutes.
3. For the tahini sauce, simply mix together the tahini and lemon until light and smooth. Set aside.
4. Blitz half of the potatoes and half of the lentil soup in a blender until smooth and then add the other halves along with 1/2 cup (120 ml) hot water. Work in batches if your blender is too small. Add additional salt to your taste and blitz the soup until smooth.
5. Serve and drizzle with tahini sauce, parsley or coriander, and chopped spring onion. Enjoy!
1. For a thinner soup, add another 1/2 cup of hot water while blending to obtain your desired consistency.