Here is my twist on the traditional chocolate chip cookie and the Italian Bocconcini al Pistachio di Bronte. These crispy and chewy treats are made of extra-virgin olive oil, crushed pistachios, and creamy chocolate chips. The olive oil is distantly tasted in a way that only enhances the overall flavor of the cookie. Perfect and utterly delicious for dunking in your morning tea or coffee.
INGREDIENTS/ MAKES 30 COOKIES
1 cup all-purpose flour, sifted
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/8 teaspoon baking soda
1/8 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup (50gr.) finely crushed pistachios
1/2 cup (50 gr.) coarsely (hand chopped) pistachios
1/3 cup (80 ml.) olive oil
1/2 cup (tightly packed) dark brown sugar (120 gr.)
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 cup (80 gr.) milk chocolate or semi- sweet chocolate chips
1. Preheat oven to 180 C (350 F) and line two baking pans with parchment paper.
2. In a bowl, combine your flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and finely crushed pistachios. Mix together.
3. In another bowl, whisk together the olive oil and dark brown sugar until well combined. Add the egg and vanilla and mix until light and creamy.
4. Add the flour mixture to the wet mixture and stir together with a spoon until just combined. Make sure to not over-mix as the dough will become too soft. Fold in the chocolate chips. Chill the dough in the refrigerator for at least 45 minutes before baking.
5. Scoop the dough with 1 tablespoon and lightly roll into a ball. Then, roll the dough ball in the coarsely chopped pistachios. Repeat with the rest of the dough and place on your baking sheet.
6. Bake for about 8-10 minutes for a cookie that is soft, moist, and slightly gooey on the inside. Leave to cool at least 10 minutes. Sprinkle with icing sugar or dip in melted chocolate for extra sweetness.
Orange and White Chocolate: Add 2 teaspoons of orange zest along with the egg and vanilla. Substitute the chocolate chips for white chocolate chips.
Chocolate Dipped Cookies: Melt 100 grams of chopped milk chocolate/semi-sweet or 70% dark chocolate with 1 tablespoon coconut oil or butter in a small saucepan over low heat. Remove from the heat as soon as most of the chocolate is melted. Stir to melt the rest of the chocolate and leave to cool for at least 10 minutes before dipping the cookies. Dip half of each cookie inside the chocolate and leave to cool until set. Alternatively, drizzle the chocolate over the cookies.